Jay T. Smith
President and Bridger Professor of Theology & Ethics
- Theological Interests
Dr. Jay Smith leads the Yellowstone Theological Institute as its president. Dr. Smith has served as minister of youth, music and as senior pastor in churches in Texas, Oklahoma, Washington and Montana and has taught at Howard Payne University, Baylor University and the United States Naval Academy. Preaching regularly around the country, Dr. Smith is able to share his love for theology, ministry, adventure and music. For Dr. Smith, the love of Jesus Christ and his family serve as his heartbeat and foundation. He and his wife, Melissa, have two daughters, Catherine and Hannah. Dr. Smith also writes all the music for the Montana State University band programs. In his free time, he enjoys hiking in the mountains of Montana and sharing his musical talents with Bozeman.
- Ph.D., Trinity College-University of Bristol, United Kingdom
- D.Min., Carey Theological College
- Th.M., Regent College (magna cum laude)
- M.Div., George W. Truett Theological Seminary (cum laude)
- B.A., Christian Studies, Howard Payne University
- Studied Music Composition and Education, Sam Houston State University
Striving for continuous improvement, Dr. Smith focuses on contemporary ecclesiology, imagination and theology, as well as theological responses to contemporary cultural issues.